LTO Ultrium 5 Data Cartridge
Maxell introduces the 5th generation “LTO Ultrium 5 cartridge”, with a storage capacity of 3TB* based on Maxell's NeoSMART technology.
Advanced Ultra-fine Ceramic Armor metal particles for 3TB* capacity
New ultra-fine ceramic-armored metal particles with high energy and superior recording performance realize high capacity at 3TB*. Maxell's ceramic armor coats the metal particle with a thin ceramic layer to protect it from corrosion and provides advanced archival storage life and superior durability.
Highly reliable tracking servo characteristics
Extremely accurate servo writing technologies, which Maxell developed originally in its manufacturing process, ensure stable servo characteristics and superior tracking reliability, corresponding to increased data track density, approximately 1.4 times compared with LTO4, to achieve the high capacity of 3TB*.
Basefilm with superior dimensional stability
For significantly increased data track density, the high rigidity basefilm with superior dimensional stability ensures excellent reliability and durability for high density recording and playback, as well as for archival storage.
Proprietary dual binder system for superior tape durability
Maxell's exclusive magnetic coating was formed by cross-linking the binder system with two different functional binders. Also, a unique control system for lubricants is adopted. This allows for an extremely strong chemical linkage of the magnetic coating layer, which results in superior durability and excellent stability during long term storage.
Cartridge memory and unique color with more user benefit
Built-in non contact 8KB memory chip stores historical usage records and enables the drive to do high speed data searches. Moreover, the LTO5 reddish brown cartridge provides quick and easy visual identification.
Write Once Read Many（ WORM）cartridge for data protection and management
Maxell LTO Ultrium 5 cartridges are also available as a WORM (Write Once Read Many) product that can be read numerous times but only write once preventing accidental tampering, erasing and overwriting of data, as well as LTO3, LTO4. It allows secure backup and storage of critical data for legal and regulatory compliance.
Ultra-thin coating and advanced calendering technologies
Maxell developed this technology to enable uniform, ultra-thin and sub-micron magnetic coating. This technology, along with an advanced calendaring process achieves remarkably high output and enhanced stability for read/write performance.
Encryption capabilities for high security
The LTO Ultrium 5 format features data encryption capabilities that enable the LTO drive hardware-based writing of encryption data to the LTO cartridge, helping to protect the transport and storage of sensitive or confidential information, as well as LTO4.
|Model||LTO 5||LTO 5 WORM|
|LTOU5/1500 XJ||LTOU5/1500W XJ|
|Cartridge color||Reddish brown||Reddish brown/Gray two-tone|
( 2:1 compressed )
|1.5TB ( 3TB )|
|Maximum transfer rate
( 2:1 compressed )
|140MB/s ( 280MB/s )|
|Coercivity||227kA/m ( 2850 Oe )|
|Operating environment||10°C~45°C/10~80%RH max. wet-bulb temperature:26°C|
|16°C~35°C/20~80%RH ( 16°C~25°C/20~50%RH )
max. wet-bulb temperature:26°C
LTO Library Packs
- 20 tape cartridges are packaged with the user-friendly "Library Pack"
- Library pack case can be used as storage and stacked up to 10 layers
- Easy tape library upload
- Suitable for large-sized libraries
- Unique thermo-formed packaging is recyclable
- Eliminates unnecessary packaging
- Tapes are available with custom Tri-Optic Bar Code labels
LTO Ultrium Universal Cleaning Cartridge (UCC)
- Number of cleaning : 15-50 (drive dependent)
- Maxell UCC can clean all LTO Ultrium drives with UCC dedicated firmware installed.
- All features and specifications are subject to change without notice.
- WORM (Write Once, Read Many) : Cartridges can be read numerous times but written only once, preventing accidentaltampering, erasing and overwriting of data, and allowing secure backup and storage of critical data for legal and regulatory compliance. WORM cartridges are differentiated by their two-tone color design.
- Linear Tape-Open, LTO, the LTO Logo, Ultrium and the Ultrium Logo are registered trademarks of HPE, IBM and Quantum in the US and other countries.
- [General - FAQ for computer tapes] : How should I care for computer tapes during transportation?
- [General - FAQ for computer tapes] : What information should I include when I send computer tapes to a reference service?
- [DLT/SDLT - FAQ for computer tapes] : Why is it taking so long for the media drive to load the computer tape?
- [DLT/SDLT - FAQ for computer tapes] : A strange sound is heard after I insert a computer tape into the media drive.
- [DLT/SDLT - FAQ for computer tapes] : The cartridge ejected after being inserted into the drive but before being read.
- [DLT/SDLT - FAQ for computer tapes] : I cannot share computer tapes with some types of media drive.
- [DLT/SDLT - FAQ for computer tapes] : The drive does not load a computer tape after it has been inserted.
- [DLT/SDLT - FAQ for computer tapes] : What will happen if the drive is not cleaned for a long time?
- [DLT/SDLT - FAQ for computer tapes] : Why does the drive's cleaning lamp come on all the time?
- [DLT/SDLT - FAQ for computer tapes] : Why doesn't the drive's cleaning lamp turn off after cleaning?
- [DLT/SDLT - FAQ for computer tapes] : Why do errors occur when I record data to a computer tape for backup?